Five days down - 175 to go! We successfully made it through our first week of school. (well Jack and I did ~ Caroline got to enjoy one more week of vacation). First week went really well. My class is really good and is picking up routines and procedure much quicker than any class I've had before. I think it helps that many of them are older. I also said many prayers as I would really like to possibly loop up with this class and teach them kindergarten next year if my principal would let me. So it is awesome that they seem to be such a good class. Have several of the required names I can't pronounce. (Sidebar - why do parents want to give their children names that will be a struggle to ever be pronounced correctly the first time - strange spellings and the like - I am sure it makes the world more interesting - but not easy the first day of school! - And why do so many names have apostrophes in them nowadays ~ they're not contractions or being possessive! Back to the regular programming).
Jack had a good week and for the most part did really well behavior wise. We're still working on a few issues, but he is loving every minute of kindergarten and enjoys his class and teachers a lot.
Our school went to uniforms this year and it has made such a difference. I would say 85 - 90% of the student population is in uniform and it is wonderful. This has been by far the easiest first week of school that my school has experienced since I've been there. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.
Our school is also part of a school cluster (elementary, middle and high schools in a specific area) that is the first cluster in the nation to go completely sugar-free. No more bakesales, ice cream, syrup in the mornings, donuts, cokes, chips, etc. Everything brought into the school or served from the cafeteria must be healthy, natural, non-fried and have no high-fructose corn syrup. I have the honor, privilege and challenge of being the Wellness Committee Chairperson for the school and my committee is spearheading the whole movement for our school. It is a very exciting thing to be a part of and I am so happy to see the parents, students and faculty embracing this movement! (of course it is also a great motivator to me to help keep me on my own weight loss program!)
We finally had our garage sale this morning. (I've only scheduled it no less than 12 times and have put it off for a year.) Of course when I had the WHOLE SUMMER to have one - I was too busy! So let's wait until the week school starts to have one! When I'm getting a sinus infection no less! Sounds like the perfect time. We did really well and actually have more to sell and will pull more stuff out in a couple of weeks when our neighborhood has their annual neighborhood garage sale! James was supposed to go help out at church but got there too late. Might have been a good thing, because he was able to come home and help me.
Jack further proved he was going to grow up to be a salesman (hopefully not a used car salesman - but with his hard sell tactics, who knows). Everyone who came to the garage sale was told, "Hi, we're selling stuff. Let me show this, it is super cool." "Look at this game it is lots of fun, you should buy it.". We finally had to tell him to lay off his sales pitch. The garage is finally almost to the point of being able to house a car again! Progress!
Caroline had fun at the lake with my parents and sisters' families this past week. I was really sad James, Jack and I couldn't go! Total bummer when work gets in the way of play! She's been tubing for several years and decided she wanted to try knee boarding. Got up on the first try and did well with it she said. She said it was so much fun - can't wait to see her do it!
Went out to eat on some of our garage sale earnings. James and I were craving some sushi. We went to the local restaurant that also serves Chinese food for the kids to eat. Jack decided he wanted to try my sushi! Out of my 8 California rolls, Jack ate 3 1/2 (used chopsticks and everything) - Caroline ate 1 1/2 - Mommy only 3. Next time we'll get two orders. (and is it just me or is a 5 year old chowing down on sushi just a bit weird?)
Have a happy Sunday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment